2021 ALTITUDE OCR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ANNOUNCED
World’s Highest OCR endorsed as the home of the official Altitude OCR World Championships.
We are excited to announce this latest development to the 2021 World’s Highest OCR , please find below the latest news with more details to follow over the coming weeks…
8th January 2021 – Lausanne, Switzerland: World Obstacle, the Fédération Internationale de Sports d’Obstacles (FISO), announced today the launch of the 2021 Altitude OCR World Championships, scheduled from September 12th to 21st, 2021 on Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, exclusively run by EP Global Events Ltd under the brand & event name World’s Highest OCR, an international extreme altitude sports and OCR race producer and promoter.
This ultimate OCR challenge brings together the colossal elements of Mount Kilimanjaro, one of the Seven Summits, the highest peaks on each of the seven continents, and Obstacle Course Racing to create the ultimate bucket list challenge on the Roof of Africa. Participants conquer the world’s highest free-standing mountain to earn their place as part of the World Record group for the World’s Highest OCR with an extraordinary obstacle course race in the volcanoes’ crater. All participants can then enter the 2-day timed speed descent as a time trial race down the mountain.
“The World’s Highest OCR provides international participants the chance to experience the most challenging and stunning landscape Africa has to offer” said EP Global Events co-founder, Mr. Robert Edmond. “The challenge requires participants to ascend Mt. Kilimanjaro in stages for safety, acclimatising to the 5,985m summit before descending into the crater, moving through the obstacle course and finally the speed decent.”
EP Global Events co-founder Mr. Dave Pickles added “The World’s Highest OCR will employ 400 local staff, providing benefit to their extended families and the local community. The event will have a wide and enduring positive impact, elevating the lives of thousands of people in the region.”
“The World’s Highest OCR provides a unique adventure challenge for obstacle athletes and real value to the local population” said FISO President, Mr. Ian Adamson “This event satisfies many of our higher goals as a sport, including making better humans and generating positive economic impact. EP Global Events has a proven record with excellent reviews from athletes globally and is a natural fit with World Obstacle.”
About World Obstacle
World Obstacle, the Fédération Internationale de Sports d’Obstacles (FISO) is the international governing body for obstacle sports and related disciplines, representing the needs of Adventure Racers, Ninja Athletes and Obstacle Course Racers worldwide. It is an independent association composed of national member federations and their athletes in over 100 countries.
World Championships Preliminary Information
If you are interested in taking part please contact us.
- Mandatory multi-stage altitude acclimatisation to Uhuru Peak, elevation 5,895m (19,340ft.)
- Descent into the crater, elevation 5,750m (18,864ft.)
- 100m Obstacle Course within Crater
- Reset & Refuel at Barafu Camp elevation 4,600m (15,091ft.)
- 2-day, 2 stage speed descent from Barafu Camp to park gates.
- Registration is open for individuals that meet strict qualification criteria.
- Finishers must complete Stage 1 by Summitting the Mountain.
- Finishers must complete Stage 2: The Obstacle Course as follows;
- Each competitor travels individually and unassisted.
- Course is between a pre-determined start line and pre-determined finish line.
- Complete at least 50% of the obstacles.
- Mandatory obstacle first attempt on each obstacle.
- Maximum 3 attempts on each obstacle.
- 5 min penalty per obstacle for failing to complete the obstacle.
- 10 minute penalty per obstacle not attempted (physical / medical incapacity)
- Compulsory 3-minute medical check after each obstacle.
- If the medical director/staff confirm the participant is not medically fit to carry on, they will need to descend immediately due to safety event rules which are in the best interest of every participant.
- Finishers must complete Stage 3: The timed decent individually and unassisted traveling over the Start & Finish lines of each sub-stage.
Qualifying criteria for Altitude OCR World Championships
a) Provide a letter from a licensed physician stating they are fit and healthy for the event.
b) Have ascended
i. a 3,000m+ within 12 months of the event date or;
ii. a 4,000m+ within 18 months of the event date or;
iii. a 5,000m+ within 24 months of the event date or;
iv. a 6,000m+ within 36 months of the event date or;
v. other documented experience at altitude approved by the event medical director.
c) Registered with their National Federation of World Obstacle, the Federation Internationale de Sport d ’Obstacles (FISO) National Federation Member.
d) Have a documented strong base line of health and fitness. Competitors may be required to provide a doctor’s certificate stating they are in good health and adequate condition to make the ascent.
e) Documented record of completion of an organised competition that demonstrates the individual’s determination, strong mind-set, and adherence to competition rules.
f) Agree to the FISO Anti-doping rules. This may include random sampling, before, during or after the event.
g) Agree to Altitude OCR World Championships Competition Rules and the FISO Competition Rules MSD (Master Source Document).
h) Confirm adequate preparation for the challenge and satisfying entry criteria.
i) Minimum age 16 years old on the start day of competition.